domingo, 27 de octubre de 2013

I'm 17 and It's All About Brand 'Me'

On Labor Day, my family and I took our annual day trip to the beach. While it wasn't a particularly exotic vacation, I thought I should share that I did something besides watch Netflix all summer.

So, I decided to post a tweet. I could have talked about having "fun in the sun," adding a sunglasses emoji for good measure. But that would be too boring and predictable. I thought for a moment and composed my update:

It got the main point across, reflected my contempt for trendy teenage fashion, and was humorous and relateable to anyone who'd ever set foot in a boardwalk t-shirt shop. Although I admittedly chuckled at some of the sayings plastered on the clothing, online I seemed to possess a more mature taste in fashion (and comedy) than some of my peers.

In less than 140 characters, I provided a selective glimpse into my thoughts, only revealing those that made the best impression.

For most teens, the purpose of social media is just that: an outlet to express various character traits, especially those that are less-than-obvious or even nonexistent.

I confess I don't spout witty one-liners on a regular basis. But the nature of Twitter allows me to garner a number of retweets and favorites for short, clever commentary on my everyday life. The same applies to my favorite photo-sharing app, Instagram. I can get dozens of likes on a picture of the sunset I snapped with my iPhone, even though my real-life photography skills are decidedly amateur.

Each social media provides a distinct niche for me to showcase different aspects of my personality, enhancing others' preconceived notions about me.

Teenagers have been unjustly stuffed into boxes even before The Breakfast Club. But the enormous span of social media networks gives us a chance to shed the inaccurate labels. As a result, teens have become experts in online branding; instead of pushing a product, we're selling ourselves. Everything we do online is subconsciously executed to affect others' perceptions.

At any moment I can simultaneously gush over a celebrity on Tumblr, comment on the latest breaking news on Twitter, and post a vintage-looking snapshot on Instagram without breaking a sweat. Fun? Check. Insightful? Check. Artsy? Check.

Having an account for each quality just makes it easier to live up to the inflated version of myself I constructed online.

Almost all popular social media sites are now associated with certain characteristics. Instagram lets users see the world through an artistic lens. Twitter is for sharp punch lines and the occasional philosophical musing. Tumblr is a safe haven for the shameless super-fan. Vine fosters over-the-top humor. And with its new lower age limit, LinkedIn wants teens to develop their professional sides online.

Whether these characterizations are contrived or accidental, teens will frequent a site that cultivates the expression of a singular trait, when others do not.

A great example of this trend is 19-year-old Harry Styles, member of the boy band One Direction. Although he's subject to the tabloid rumors that plague most teen stars, he frequently uses social media to offer a different view of himself to the public. One day he might post a minimalistic photo of street art on Instagram:

The next, he'll tweet an amusing thought about proper party etiquette:

Occasionally he finds time to record a comically random Vine:

Each post subtly challenges the typical young Hollywood caricature.

However, social media's shift in purpose from communicating with friends to feeding our growing digital narcissism explains the decline in Facebook among teens. From unattractive candids posted by friends to embarrassing wall posts from distant relatives, the once-supreme network offers the most unfiltered view of real life. Facebook might be too similar to the reality many teens spend time trying to elude, tarnishing their carefully concocted online image.

Of course, there might be consequences to devoting so much energy to one's digital profile. Despite our attempts (and the growing number of social media networks), we'll never have complete control over how others perceive us. I'm not sure how much more of myself I can divide amongst various accounts before my super-cool Internet persona starts to crack. What happens then? Maybe once us teens have perfected all of our alter egos, we'll start focusing on the original.

Image: Flickr, Abob Bob

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario